Tuesday, February 12, 2008
The Rolling Stones - School of Rock Style
So, Mark h
ad his first "show" with his School of Rock students last weekend. He was a little concerned seeing as the kids weren't playing as well as he would have liked them to, but considering that none of the kids had ever picked up an instrument before the semester started in October, I think they did really well. The kids in the school range from 8-18. His group did the Rolling Stones, which lasted about 2 hours with a 15 minute intermission between sets. There were 19 kids in the show and both the bass players in this one were Mark's students, but seeing as he was "Co-Director", he gets to claim them all. Friday night was a little rough, but Saturday the group finally relaxed and most of the songs seemed to come together quite nicely. He even got a couple of the girls to do the Mick Jagger chicken walk and interact with the audience a little. I spent Saturday out at the snack table, so I had to watch the show from the doo
rway, but it sounded a lot better out there anyway. Now that the show is done he was supposed to get a couple of weeks off, but instead he gets to practice with the Rolling Stones kids and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" kids for the Best of Season show that is coming up on February 23rd (which is where they take the 3 best songs from all of the shows that students from the 3 School of Rock locations in Utah have done and play them in one night), which should be pretty good. I'm going to have to remember to use the video function on my camera at that one. My pictures didn't turn out too well because of the fog machine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Looks like fun!
Sounds like a blast!!
I am glad to see there is another crazy person trying to teach kids how to perform and look or sound good. Sheesh, what a job. I bet it was fantastic and a super great experience for the kids. Sounds like all is well.
Post a Comment